POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Crescent Moon in daylight. : Re: Crescent Moon in daylight. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crescent Moon in daylight.
From: Stephen
Date: 12 Jan 2011 09:41:30
Message: <4d2dbd9a$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/01/2011 8:13 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "Bill Pragnell"<bil### [at] hotmailcom>  schreef in bericht
>> I've done this before. Put your moon and light source outside a
>> semitransparent,
>> hollow, no_shadow sky sphere, with a black background. If using radiosity,
>> make
>> sure the outer texture of the sphere is set to opaque black (unless you
>> want the
>> shadowed side of the moon to be brightly earthlit!)
>
> ....and that works perfectly!
>
> I put a little example code in povray.text.scene-files

Thanks Thomas.
The only problem with this method is that the Moon is coloured by the
Sphere of the Sky (we need a name for this as skysphere is something
else). In your example the sky is too light, in my opinion. But it

example, looked washed out.
For a darker blue sky I got slightly better results by using a small
fade distance and a large colour value but I suspect that I would need

is fine for a gibbous Moon. But when the Moon is a crescent you can see

part away to get the best result.
It is a work-around but all art is artifice.
Thanks to all.

--
Regards
     Stephen